- 100g/4oz softened butter/margarine
- 100g/4oz soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup or honey
- 150g/6oz self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 50g/2oz chocolate chips or Smarties
Preheat the oven to 170°C/160°C fan/Gas 3.
Beat the butter, sugar and syrup together until soft and creamy.
Mix in the flour, vanilla extract and add the chocolate chips.
Divide the mixture into about 15 pieces and roll into balls using your hands.
Place well apart on greased baking sheets. Do not flatten them.
Bake for about 10 mins until a pale golden colour (don't cook any longer or they'll go crispy!)
Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes and then remove from the tray and finish cooling on a wire rack.