• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 x 300g good-quality sirloin steaks
• 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
• olive oil
• 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
• a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
• 3 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil
egg noodles, to serve
finely sliced red chilli, to serve
Slice the steaks into finger-sized strips and season with salt and pepper. Pound the coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar, then sprinkle over the meat so they stick to it and give it a lovely, fragrant flavour.
Heat a wok or large frying pan until very hot. Pour in a splash of olive oil and add the onions, garlic and ginger. Fry for a couple of minutes until the onions have softened a little. Drop in the seasoned pieces of beef and stir-fry for a couple of minutes. Add the broccoli spears and fry for a further 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
Pour in the soy sauce and sesame oil. Toss in the pan until everything is well coated. Serve with egg noodles or steamed rice, with some sliced red chilli sprinkled over the top.